Sunday, May 17, 2020

Two Witches Meet The Zombies



Yeah, so it was time for another game of Five Parsecs From Star Fleet starring the Star Fleet Grammas. I mean, no one was forcing me or anything, but I wanted to get another game in. As a bit of background, I added the "Bug Hunt" as a mission just for completeness, because it isn't a very Star Trek-like adventure. And I included Zombies because they were already on the Mission table and I didn't feel like coming up with something different even though I'm not much of a zombie fan. So, naturally, when I was rolling up the mission paramaeters, I wound up with a bug hunt featuring zombies. And since the zombies can kind of spawn randomly, I needed a batch of them. 42 Star Fleet Zombies later, I felt I had enough to play the game.

Magrat and colony militia on the left, Nanny Ogg and a Star Fleet securuity team on the right.

Now, the first thing I realized when I was setting up this game was that I hadn't make the tokens for a Bug Hunt. I had honest;y never expected to play this kind of scenario, and so I had to make do with what I had made for the other scenarios. So I set up the three Objectives using "Point Of Interest" markers, Tactical Locations using "Scout" tokens, and the Contacts using a combination of "Hazard: and "Contact: tokens.

Turn Three, with a bunch of zombies already dead and two looking to be dead soon

I was meticulous in documenting the game with pictures. And I didn't realize the flash was on because I have a spiffy new phone battery and the flash actually works now. So, of the dozen or so pictures I took, only about four of them turned out well enough to share.

Turn Five, and five zombies just spawned by the container...
The good news, of course, is that the game doesn't really need a turn-by-turn description. The first few turns saw both sides advancing, no one was turned into a zombie, and only one person was lost on each team. Towards the end, a lot of zombies spawned all at once, which was scary for a moment because until then it had been pretty smooth going... the colony militia really showed their stuff, though, and they killed most of the zombies. There were three Contact markers that split in two, and two that turned out to be nothing.

Final turn" everyone is ready for the Transporter to beam them up, and there are still two Contact markers wandering away
All the Objectives were met after eight turns, there were still two contact markers wandering away (there had been only one, but it split in two on the last turn,) and the crew all gathered to be beamed up. Success!

Afterwards, both Nanny Ogg and Magrat leveled up. Star Fleet was putting heavy pressure on them to get everything wrapped up on their mission to Pinkfluffdoodle IV, but that would have no real effect on the next game. They also came across a good business deal on the side, and managed to earn a couple of extra credits to add to their stash.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of the Bug Hunt mission, and I'm not a zombie fan. But I really wanted to push through and see how the dice play out in making a Star Trek adventure. And, if Star Trek had zombies, I think this game pretty accurately reflected how it would play out. We lost a couple of the background people, and both of the heroes in this episode had a moment or two to really shine and save everyone. Magrat really did a good job, which suits her role as Chief Security Officer. I certainly hope I get a better mission next time! And I need to make sure I have all the right tokens and markers...

My Star Fleet hack of Five Parsecs can be found here.

Five Parsecs From Home and the supplements are available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment